6.29.2009

Denial

Turn and look the other way
Pretend it didn't happen
You know that wrong has been done
There's a way to end it all
If someone would rock the boat

"You know how she is" you say
You know you can't feign surprise
You know you should confront her
But family honor is
More important than our lives?

However if you rock the boat
There will be much hell to pay
Our absence is her revenge
When you're gone, her mask does fall
Our bruises are hidden well

I know I cannot trust her
I know you will not help us
It means you'd have to admit
Something is wrong in our home
Our small town would know it all

Your obvious apathy
Has sown a demonic seed
Inside me it grows wildly
I constantly nip its' bud
My soul it tries to possess

I now understand the cycle
How it comes to be this way
My rage is pointed at her
My disappointment at you
I know you've seen it before

Yes, I knew your compassion
But you didn't want to step in
If the townsfolk found out and
We'd pay again, this time more
Than the last time it's certain

You chose to know some, not much
You let reluctance take heed
It is so much easier
To move on for yourself when
You won't see your own child mar

That woman was your problem
A problem she'll always be
Towards her own children and
Towards her sister's children
And I imagine her brother's

If he and I should decide
To bring forth a child into
Our lives, she'll not be allowed
Unsupervised contact or
Weekend trips, visits alone

His own mother was like I
But turned out to be far more
Of a mother than you
Have the potential to be
For me I know there is hope

Your counterpart on dad's side
Knew all was not well, but hate
So strong she was denied us
She relied upon you for
A chance to see us at all

Even today, as I'm grown
If I were to state the facts
Heads would turn, facts pushed aside
They would opt to subdue me
Because it means all's still wrong

My siblings and I somehow
Must know it's time to end it
We don't speak it, share it but
I wonder if our disinterest
In children is a surprise

Two of us have married but
But children not considered
Seriously and our other
Sibling is not dating and
I'm sure that's all her fault

We learned from her that anger, shame
Humiliation, kicks, slaps and
Other far more degrading
Acts are par for the course should
You prescribe to her methods

Now you lie in a distant
Bed and she doesn't visit
She's got more important things
On her mind like those flat and
Empty material things